Saturday, October 8, 2011

Bill and Me



In the month of August I got an email from the Ruby Flowers Production Company that asked if I was available to perform on September 14th for a benefit to raise money for the Cecil Taylor Art Museum. There were musicians flying in from around the world for this event. Of course I said “yes” and would be honored to play for Cecil.

A few days later I was sent a list of musicians who were definitely performing and was asked whom I want to play with. One of the bass players was Albey Balgochian, who I regularly play with and is an amazing ‘out player’. My drummer, Jay Rosen was not on the list because he would be coming in from Europe that day and would be too late, but Andrew Cyrille was available, I always wanted to play with him, I was given the OK. As the date got closer, each day I was given more info about the concert. It would be at Brooklyn Borough Hall and the event would start at 6PM. There would be many rooms and each group would perform ten-minute sets. There would also be a Green Room with food and drink for the musicians, This was going to be a classy production and I was happy to be part of it. As the weeks went on, some musicians dropped out and new ones came aboard and somehow the trio I was to play with didn’t exist anymore. I decided to just go with the flow and let things be and not rock the boat.

Then an email came in that announced Bill Cosby would Emcee the event; this was amazing. I knew Bill is a big jazz fan and always had jazz musicians on his show, but never avant-garde musicians. I didn’t care. All I knew was I was playing for Cecil and introduced by Bill Cosby!

A few weeks before it was all to happen, Cecil decided he didn’t want a benefit. Of course I was disappointed, but what could I do?

Two days later an email came in and asked if I could perform on the following day, September 15th at le poisson rouge Lounge for a benefit for the Dizzy Gillespie Foundation that helps musicians pay for medical bills. And Bill Cosby was very much connected to this foundation and would host the event too. How could I say no?

Again emails came in with lists of musicians. Many musicians who were on the original list were gone and new ones had replaced them. Andrew Cyrille was not available, but my regular drummer and long time friend who can play anything, Jay Rosen was. Terrific! I would be in my element.

I was told to show up at 6pm and the first set would start at 7:30. I arrived with my wife Carol at exactly 6:30. Carol found a spot at the bar till other friends arrived and the she sat at a table with Richard and Roberta Berger.

At approximately 7:50 Cheryl Wills from Channel One introduced Bill Cosby. Bill came on stage and was immediately funny. This is a man that I watched from the time he was on Johnny Carson, Mike Douglas and every talk show you can think of, and every time he had me along with and millions of viewers in stitches, laughing at his unique sense of humor. When I Spy became a national television hit, I made sure I watched every episode.

To this day Carol and I watch the re-runs of the Bill Cosby Show, which in my estimation was a role model on how a family can be. It was clean, funny, and informative and stressed family values that are surely missing in the last fifteen years in the so- called sit-coms that I call sick-coms.

Before each act started to play, he would ask whom the musicians were and he would do a little bit and tease them and the band would play. By the time the third band played, I realized none of these musicians were ‘out players’. They all played ‘straight-ahead’. It was modern be-bop, all good, but not what would have been played at Cecil’s event. I was sitting with Albey and we both looked at each other and laughed. I said while laughing, he’s going to F#@**N hate us. And Albey, laughed and shook his head yes.

A short time before we were to play, Rash Moshe asked if he could play with the trio. He said it was too confusing who he was to play with, so he rather work with us. I said, “of course play with us”. Ras is good guy a great player. I used him on The Vampire’s Revenge and of The Bird The Girl and The Donkey. He brings so much talent and creativity to any group he plays with.

My group was standing about ten feet from the stage, waiting for Kim Clarke’s group to finish their set. I told the guys I wanted to play solo for about forty seconds and then join in and when they do, rip it. So that was the plan. Bill Cosby asked, who’s up next and Cheryl Wills announced the Dom Minasi Group. Bill immediately asked which one of us was Dom Minasi. I nodded and he came over to me with mike in hand.

Bill: Okay Dom, What are you going to play?
Me: I don’t know.
Bill: What do you mean, you don’t know?
Me: I don’t know”
Bill: Does the bass player know what to play?
Me: Ask Him

Bill goes over to Albey and asks, “Do you know what to play”? Albey answers’ Yes!
Bill walks back to me
Bill: He knows
Me: Of course he knows. He has to know.
Bill: what are you talking about?

This went on for a few minutes. Meanwhile I’m laughing. Bill is making faces and the audience is laughing and in my head, I’m thinking, here am I on stage doing a ‘bit’ with Bill Cosby. What could be better than this?

We began as planned, I started and the band came in. We played at a very high energy level for about 10 minutes. The crowd went wild and we got a thunderous amount of applause.

When we finished, I unplugged my guitar and was about to leave, when Bill comes over again with mike in hand and says’, "Wait a minute. Tell me about yourself and where are you playing next"? I was kind of stunned. Here is Bill Cosby asking about me…Whew! What can I say?

A few minutes later I took my wife backstage to meet Bill. He was so gracious to both of us and told me how much he loved the set.

This was one of the best nights of my life. I am so grateful to all, especially Annabel of Ruby Flowers Productions that helped make the night a success.

Dom Minasi

8 comments:

  1. I wish I could be there!!
    Fuji

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. They didn't record this by any chance I suppose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They did video tape it. Eventually I will have a copy and post it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was there and thought everyone played great! I was totally blown away by the drummers ... ALL OF THEM (including my good friend, Jay Rosen. I covered the event at my blog at NewMusicBox.org. Go to:

    http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/jazz-in-the-21st-century/

    to read the post.

    -Ratzo B. Harris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goes to show you (by "you" I mean you, me, everyone else) that doing something with passion can surprise people into actually listening - and then, what's there not to like?! So glad to hear it, Dom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all, We did record the show, we have beautiful pics. The recording is being edited. Ratzo yes the drummers were great. Bass, you next year? I didn't see you. Would have love to say hi. Say hello to Herb if you see him,. Thanks Dom for what and who you are, Regards Ana Isabel
    Ps : Bob : "that doing something with passion can surprise people into actually listening" YES..next year just... COME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey all, We did record the show, we have beautiful pics. The recording is being edited. Ratzo yes the drummers were great. Bass, you next year? I didn't see you. Would have love to say hi. Say hello to Herb if you see him,. Thanks Dom for what and who you are, Regards Ana Isabel
    Ps : Bob : "that doing something with passion can surprise people into actually listening" YES..next year just... COME AND ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey all, We did record the show, we have beautiful pics. The recording is being edited. Ratzo yes the drummers were great. Bass, you next year? I didn't see you. Would have love to say hi. Say hello to Herb if you see him,. Thanks Dom for what and who you are, Regards Ana Isabel
    Ps : Bob : "that doing something with passion can surprise people into actually listening" YES..next year just... COME AND ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Posting.